Monday, September 12, 2011

To those...


What can you say about September 11, 2001 that doesn't sound trite. I never really liked the slogan "Never Forget" because it is the kind of tragedy that is impossible to forget. It just becomes a part of our collective psyche that we take along wrapped up in everything else we encounter in our cities and in our lives.

I remember so much about that day, and we were very lucky not to have lost anyone in the attacks, but every year I find the hype and re-living moment of the attacks stomach-wrenching.

The terrorist attacks were horrible, and at the time inconceivable, but I am happy to celebrate the city as it is now in all of its wonder in the spirit of Walt Whitman:


"A million people--manners free and superb--open voices--
   hospitality--the most courageous and friendly young 
   men,
City of hurried and sparkling waters! city of spires and masts! 
City nested in bays! my city!"

What do you think?

No comments: